Friday, February 19, 2010

Making Snow Ice Cream

Growing up in Southern California, this wasn't something we ever did! My grandma was also a Californian, so I don't have childhood memories of making this at her house, either. (I do have great memories of making 'Shake-A-Pudding' at her house though... anyone else remember that stuff??) But I digress.....

Since we had 4 feet of snow, I figured we ought to do something fun with it. Well, besides sledding and hucking snowballs at each other, which we certainly did plenty of! Somewhere, on someone else's blog - and I don't remember who, or I'd give you credit! - I saw 'snow ice cream' and since I adore homemade ice cream, I figured this was for me!

I found more than one recipe for it, but since I also adore sweetened condensed milk I decided to go with that one. It was incredibly sweet and rich, and no one could finish their bowl of it. Well, except me, because I could probably eat a whole can of sweetened condensed milk just plain. Gross, I know. But still.

So here it is - I sent Kiwi out with a big metal pan that I had stuck in the freezer to get good and cold. She got 10 cups of clean, fresh snow.




Then we added one 14 oz. can of sweetened condensed milk and a couple teaspoons of vanilla.

As you stir it together, the snow really condenses down... it looks kinda... chunky... but it's not. It was nice and creamy. I wonder if it's different with different types of snow? Ours was a very light, fluffy, dry sort of snow.

Then we dished it up and ... yummmm! I have to admit, this was more like 4 - 6 servings, not three.....


4 comments:

  1. Someone left a snow ice cream comment on my Strawberry Sorbet post. I'd never heard of snow ice cream before.

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the shakin' pudding! Oh dear, I'm showing my age again! LOL
    But I have never heard of snow ice cream! Sounds intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Growing up around New Orleans with no snow, I didn't get a chance to taste this yummy concoction until I visited relatives in North Carolina one Christmas many years ago. Ever make ice cream in a bag?

    Marlene

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving the idea ... but being in AZ, not much chance for snow :) WE do have IKEA, so at least I have the same bowls.

    I hope you don't mind if I splash around a bit to get to know you more. Don't worry, if I make a mess, I'll clean it up.

    Splashing,
    Sara

    ReplyDelete