Thursday, September 24, 2009

I'm getting tired of being the family cheerleader

Why is it that I am the only one trying to "see the bright side" here??! I know, I know. It's hard to move 2,600 miles away from all you know and love. I feel it too! But, still. I am trying to have a good attitide, to look for the best in it, to find fun stuff to do. My daughter cries every other day that she wants "to go home". My husband hates his job here. (Now, that doesn't surprise me... given the company he works for. He's worked for them before. It was my only real hesitation about moving here, and sure enough, they've remained true to their colors. I don't know why he thought it would be different.) This morning when I dropped him off at work (yeah, I have to get up at 5:30am to take him to work since the company took away the managers' vehicles.... but have I complained? No. Well, not a lot!) Anyway, he tells me he just wants to move back, that it isn't going well here at all. I asked "Isn't it better though, now that Kiki and I are here?" (he moved here 6 months before she and I were able to come) and he was all "well, it's better, but still, like last night, you were on the computer while I watched tv alone.... what fun is that?" OH!! Let me explain something! I hate inane television, and my husband is the KING of coming home, plopping his butt on the couch and grabbing the remote. I have spent countless hours sitting next to him watching crap I couldn't care less about, trying to be "with him". Well, I am tired of it, so recently I've started getting on my computer when he camps out with the tv set. (and besides, the computer is about 20 feet from there - it's not like I'm upstairs, or in another room or something!) I have tried and tried to get us to play a game, or read, or do heaven knows what instead of tv..... but now he's not happy enough that Kiki and I finally joined him here because we aren't spending time together??!!!

If he doesn't pull his crap together, maybe I will just take Kiki and go back to Idaho.... at least I can make one of them happy that way!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are all running on empty. I hope you find a way to fill your emotional gas tanks (even here in Virginia).
    I have to admit, I am guilty of plugging into the TV when I am feeling burnt out (I love House and Bones)- please, don't hate me- lol.
    As far as the "Mutts of Manassas" walks go- most of them are on leash. The dogs vary on how "social" they are- but the owners are mostly friendly :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, here you are on Blogger! Takes me a while to catch on, I guess. Now I see that you have moved way the heck out east - to be closer to the President, no doubt! Ha!

    My (unsolicited) advice is to take advantage of your new location. Explore places, meet people, embrace the good. I know that sounds trite, but you can learn so much. Kiwi, too. It takes time to adjust and it's easy to think of things that were better 'back there' but pretty soon you will see what's better where you are. That humidity? SO much better for your skin. And I don't imagine Virginia winters are quite as winterish as Idaho.

    I will forever miss Minnesota-nice but not Minnesota-cold. So hang in there, cheerleader! It's an awesome opportunity.

    Gah! I sound old!

    ReplyDelete